Be careful with food and drinks
Food and drinks: For most tourists the best part of a trip is trying exotic delicacies. Still, you should take some precautions, especially if travelling to a country infamous for the hygiene level:
Watch out when you try this food and drinks
1. Tap water – Contaminated water is one of the most common causes for disease in the world. Bacteria that cause diarrhea, rotavirus, cholera and numerous other diseases come directly through contaminated food and water. What can you do? Get information about your travel destination in advance, ask about tap water. If you doubt its purity, drink bottled water and sodas, and avoid even washing your teeth with tap water.
2. Ice – Some bacteria can survive even in the coldest conditions. Better avoid it. If you are in the mood for a cold drink, better take a soda or a beer straight from the refrigerator.
3. Washing hands – Washing the hands is one of the most successful ways to prevent diseases, although it is not a regular habit in many countries. Check if the waiters’ hands are clean. If you can’t figure it out, there are other signs as well – soap in the toilets, the cleanliness of the uniforms etc. Don’t forget to wash your hands as well!
4. Food and Drinks in the sun – Temperature control is one of the most important factors for the quality of the food. Cooked food has approximately two hours period for safe consummation, and the time frame lowers as the temperatures get higher. Stay away from food sold at stands.
5. Raw food – Fruit and vegetables are healthy, but not in the countries with contaminated tap water. In that case better avoid them. In such places keep to these basic rules – peel and cook, avoid fresh fruit and vegetables.